Monday, August 20, 2007

Happy International Friendship Week!

When I was younger I really, REALLY wanted to have a best friend. I wanted one girl who I could share all my secrets, have sleepovers with, and wear the ever famous necklace with. But I never really had just one friend that I felt especially close to. I felt sad when I would see other girls with their "bosom buddies" as Anne of Green Gables would put it. I felt a little left out. Although, as a young girl I did have many good friends that I spent many hours with playing barbies (Anne do you think my barbie can live in the mansion with you and Ken now? :), giggling, and jumping on the trampoline.


As I grew a little older the need for just one friend lessened and I felt lucky to have a group of friends to hang out with talking about boys, having sleepovers, going to Stake dances then watching SNL (back when it was good), and going to girls camp. At times some of us would be closer than others. We would fight about things that seemed really important at that ever fragile High School stage, and then months later we were great friends again. We all became each others "best friends" I think.





When we grew up a little more we were roommates at college. I have heard many people suggest not to room with your friends because it will ruin your friendship. I'd like to say to those people that they never had the opportunity to live with MY friends. Sure we got on each others nerves, but we could laugh about it later. We stayed up late talking about boys, had weekend visits with Kate from Rexburg, woke up early to Danielle playing G Love and Special Sauce, watching "Bring it on" and "Drive me Crazy" till Anne knew every line word for word, throwing parties where we would sport our roommate matching t-shirts, going to BYU games, trying to ambush our friends in the middle of the night with a water fight and Emily nearly getting pnemonia as our plan backfired. Good times!

We were each others chefs, maids, chauffeurs, answering service, confidantes, therapists, mentors, accomplices, supporters, listening ears, and sisters.
And in most of these cases we still are!

Sometimes months pass without speaking with them but when I need to chat I know they are just a phone call away. And when we talk it's as if we could just start right back up where we left off.

I look back at my youth and (what I call ) pre-adulthood, and think how I was blessed by having not "a best friend" but having many best friends. I could easily share by best friends necklace with each of them. I have been blessed by each of their friendships for different reasons. I believe I am who I am because of these girls. And now as I see their lives and the women they have become, they inspire me still. They are mothers, mother-to-be, future mother, writer, teacher, nurse, decorators, bloggers, bargain shoppers, supportive, understanding, passionate, witty, daring, articulate, funny, BEAUTIFUL, and my best friends!


Mark and Kate Butler

Taylor, Anne & Blaine Cropper

Travis & Danielle Wilson

Nate, Emily & Henry Williams

I miss you all and love you MORE!

p.s. I feel the need to explain that although I have picked these 4 lovely ladies to highlight, I want you all to know that I am thinking of all of you out there whom I call friends during this week o' friendship.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have successfully teared me up (doesn't take much these days :) but really, Trace, this is so sweet. I love your hugs, your willing laugh, your heart (which I happen to know from close experience, is a tender one,) your ability to admit your mistakes, your determination to do hard things, and your ability to love, love, love! It was splendid to see you in Oregon. I miss the good ol' days of close proximity and carefree fun. A big hug to you (and cute-as-a-button-Emma!)

Katie said...

It is a VERY rare thing to have a group of girls who love each other so much and who are never catty to each other. I noticed this from the moment I joined your group in Liberty Square. I have still yet to meet truer friends who are more devoted to each other. I never really had this growing up. Thanks for letting me be a part of it for a while. I really feel like you guys were the best friends I ever had. Thanks for the blogs. It makes me feel like we are all friends again. I love it. XOXO.

Kate said...

Well this was a tender post! I LOVED IT! As I was unpacking the other day I found pictures of us while we were at Ricks, what 8 years ago! Has it been that long?? How I love our group of friends!! I keep saying that we need to have an annual girls reunion for us. Get together somewhere and eat treats and chat 'til the wee morning hours, shop, talk about kids and have fun! Every couple years...what do you say, you want to help me plan the first one???

Oh and I'm home, I'll call you when I get a minute to sneak away!

Brynne, Aaron and Cade said...

What a neat post Traci. All of your friends are lucky to have you and lucky to have been high lighted on such a special post, just for them! Aren't friends the best?!!!

Jill said...

Tears were shed. Envy felt! Great blog lady! I am jealous of these great friendships! Glad I can call you my friend!

Christina said...

I haven't kept in touch with high school friends very well, that's why I think blogs are so great! But I value those friendships I had in Medford and I credit them for me being where I am today! I don't know if I would have fared nearly as well in high school here with the friends I had and lack of youth at church. I am grateful to have been in Medford and grateful for you, Traci!

Brooke said...

I'm not sure whether you check old comments but if you do happen to read this- that was SUCH a touching post. I too am envious of your friendships.. very sweet.

Danielle said...

I kept meaning to comment on this post, but I just can't quite find the exact right thing to convey how sweet and touching it was. Thanks for that Trac. you are such a good friend. I can't wait till you live closer!

Danielle said...

ps. I loved looking at all these old pictures! They were so funny. (my leather pants?!!) Oh and I agree with Kate. How fun would it be to all get together...you know at the same place and time? Good idea Kate.

Mrs. Cropper said...

Danielle, you were totally workin' those leather pants!

It was such a tender treat to read this post, and super fun to read all of the comments. We are all so blessed.