Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Let Freedom Ring

I know that it is nearly a week overdue but I can't get this song out of my head! So I guess I figured that meant I needed to share what we did on Independence Day. When you are in Southern Oregon on the 4th of July there is no greater entertainment then the Ashland Parade. It was a hot day but we weren't going to let Emma (or Mark) miss out on their first 4th of July....shall we say... "Cultural Experience"!



Poor Emma was so tired and Hot! She was a good trooper though, she loved watching all the floats and she kicked her legs to the music.

You also wouldn't believe who came out for the festivities

enough said!

We were happy to see shortly after, the Missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They sang "Called to Serve" as they walked through the streets of Ashland. I have to say this gave me goosebumps. It helped remind me how blessed I am as a member of the church to have religious freedom. I was proud to see the white shirts and black name tags.

Then if there is ever a place to protest something, this would be the venue. A HUGE group of people holding signs stopped in the middle of the road, faced the library, and proceded to bow before it! They were protesting the recent closure of all the Southern Oregon Libraries. Parade watches cheered with support! To read more about said closures click here.



What a great parade! We love Ashland and we love their parade!


I feel so blessed to live in a country where we are free. So if I can't get this song out of my head thats fine..... LET FREEDOM RING!!

8 comments:

Brynne, Aaron and Cade said...

Very cool Traci! Sounds like a fun day. I know from experience that Ashland is a great place so I'm glad you got to enjoy it too! I was surprised to hear that the missionaries were in it. VERY COOL! Thanks for the post!

Mrs. Cropper said...

We love Ashland! "Cultural experience"-good euphemism! Let me just say that I teared up while reading about the protest of the library closure. I so would have marched with that group! I'm so glad the mishies marched.

Kate said...

Ohh, ohh a new post! Ya! Looks like a very fun 4th! Sad the ALL the library in southern Oregon closed! I thought it was just the one in Medford. What's Oregon's problem!! I mean let's get real!

liz said...

Thanks for a taste of home. I'm so irritated about that library thing, even though it has no effect on me personally -- so ridiculous!

Danielle said...

Looks like fun trac--the only bad thing about being out on the lake every 4th of July is that I always miss out on things like fun parades and fireworks. I got Mark and Emma got to experience it though. Oh an that sucks about the library...not cool Medford--NOT cool!

ps Cute onesie Emma..nicely done

Anonymous said...

Yippeee! DO you know that after nine years of living in Medford, I was an Ashland 4th of July Parade V-i-r-g-i-n until last year?? It is such a fun parade (if a little strange :)

And how do I love your little Emma so much having never met her?? Huh?

Taylor said...

Ooh--thanks for the Ashland parade update. I can't believe we missed the 2nd coming. I like our church's policy that for the most part, people just shouldn't dress up as Jesus. I hope we get to see you guys when we're up there. Our schedule's gonna be tight, but we can make it happen--at least for a lunch or something.

Rob, Brooke, Breanna and Ethan said...

SOunds like you guys had a fun 4th! That's awesome! we still need to figure out when we're gonna come see u guys....we just need rob to get some time off!

Congrats on emma getting teeth, that's very exciting, i can't wait for breanna's to break through cuz i bet she'll feel ALOT better!