Friday, May 25, 2007

What have I done this week?

So I finally have a second to write something on my blog. What do I write about? I know, I will write about what I have done this week. Great Idea.......but what have I done this week?

I have killed 1 Giant Cricket:
I am sorry to admit that I am a bug killer. I hate admitting this, especially to my mother-in-law who is so kind to all living creatures. And I know that I should have compassion and just pick them up and move them outside to roam free but my fear gets the better of me and I have to take immediate action. Monday, as I was putting Emma down for her nap, I saw a HUGE bug on the recliner chair in her room. Not wanting it to get near Emma I quickly grabbed a shoe and slammed the shoe down on top of the creature. Now obviously I wasn't thinking clearly or I would have remembered that good ole' Newton teaches, "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." And that reaction being that if you throw something down on something padded, it bownces! So as the shoe and cricket came flying towards me I screamed and I mean SCREAMED (like a little girl, as Mark would say). And then Emma screamed. And then I laughed. And then Emma didn't know what to do. Needless to say, the cricket passed and all is right again.
I took Emma to the Doctor to find she had gained 2 pounds:
Emma has had a little trouble gaining weight lately. In our series of doctors appointments a decision was finally made to start her on formula. A decision that was extremely difficult for me as I wanted to nurse her exclusively for a year. After a few days of formula Emmas mood changed dramatically. She has been happier, more socialable, and a lot easier to soothe. I have felt such a calming feeling that this change although very difficult for me was one that was necessary and most beneficial for Emma. When we went to her appointement this week the doctor came in and couldn't believe that she had gained 2 lbs in just one week. She insisted that the nurse re-weigh her. She is still (as our friend Roger Hall says) a "dainty girl" but now she's got a little meat on her.
I went to WINCO 3 times:
I don't know what my deal was this week with the grocery store but we have become very close. First, I walked from our house to the store for milk on Monday, then on Thursday I made two trips, once for cheese and once for bread. I really do need to get better about making a shopping list.

I gave Emma 4 baths:
I know there have been 5 days this week (according to my calender that starts on Monday), so yes she was a little stinky for a day. I have actually thought a lot about how much you are suppose to bathe your child. My mom thinks that a child shouldn't go a day without a bath and she faithful washed all her kids everyday. I on the other hand try very hard but somedays the forces are against me.

So for your blogging pleasure, those are a few things that I DID do this week.

You know, since Emma was born I have not been able to accomplish my usual daily tasks and therefore I have been defining my days as unproductive. But from now on I am going to try my darndest to take note of what has been done and remember to recognize the product of my labors no matter how insignificant they may seem at the time.

6 comments:

Mrs. Cropper said...

TRACE,
I feel like I have so much to say! First, don't you LOVE walking to the grocery store? Blaine and I have been doing a lot of walking lately, which I love for the exercise, the sunshine, the fresh air, something fun for Blaine, not spending money on gas, and not polluting! (Wahoo for being an Oregonian!) Anyway, I love living where I can walk or ride my bike to so many places. Next, I love that Dad calls her a "dainty girl." That's presh. Next, good for you for all the baths. Blaine is bathed every other day if he's lucky! Also, I feel you on feeling unproductive. I have somtimes put "take shower" and "get dressed" on my to-do list, so I can feel good about crossing things off and feeling like I did something! Ha! So true that the meanings of "accomplish" and "productive" change so much! And finally and most importantly, we should chat about wanting to nurse a baby a full year and having to switch to formula. Blaine got an ear infection at 9 months and fully weaned himself. We tried sooo many things, but to no avail. I was crushed. Good for you for nursing her as long as possible and then doing what you felt was best for your daughter. I try to remember what my mo-in-law told me when Blaine was born--that as a mother you have stewardship over your children and the Spirit will guide you in your mothering. That seems basic enough, but sometimes I forget. It's important to remember. I LOVE YOU!

Mrs. Cropper said...

P.S. I just clicked on Kim's blog and LOVED IT! I couldn't find a place to put a comment though...?? Kim, if you read this, HIIIII!!!! I love you!!!!!

Anonymous said...

What a great week! It is so great that you have figured out how to make Emma a happier baby. I am sure it will make all the difference! Also, I echo your mother's bathing rule! My kids are almost always bathed every night before bed. Who wants to sit in a diaper all day without airing out? P.S. I didn't know Kim was in So. Cal! You need to let me know next time you visit.

Anonymous said...

Traci, you are such a ray of sunshine in the blogoshpere. I love you. You are a wonderful mom and sometimes babies just need things that their moms can't make--like formula...and it is so worth it to have found a way to help Emma be happier. And, by the way, you look fabulous in that picture with Emma. Love you.

Kate said...

I feel like you got a lot done! You are such a good mom... and I think formula is great! Heaven knows my baby will be formula all the way!!! I say yeah for that...then my Mom and Mark will get a chance to enjoy the joy of feeding a darling tiny new born!! What's better then that I say??? Love you!

Danielle said...

I am with Anne...put the little little things on your list..that way, more gets checked off (I have such fond memories of college and Anne and her lists!). Also, at the hospital we give the babies a bath every other day, so I am pretty sure its ok, as long as you sponge them off in between.

ps I am coming to Oregon in July...can we play?